Internet Connected Installation
For MS/Windows 32bit (XP or Vista or 7) on a machine directly connected to
- Download and install GTK+ (2.22.0 is 7.8MB) from:
- Download and install R (2.12.0 is 37MB) from:
Choosing all the defaults on the install works just fine.
- Install Rattle by opening the R Desktop icon and:
R asks us to nominate a CRAN mirror. Choose a nearby
location. A few dependent packages will be installed.
- Start Rattle by opening the R Desktop icon and:
- Optional: Install other packages Rattle uses. Rattle will notice
these packages missing as they are required and offer to install
them. However, we can install them all now if we might not always be
connected to the Internet. We might need to restart R to be able to
> install.packages("rattle", dep=c("Suggests"))
- Optional: Download and install GGobi (2.1.8 is 807KB) from:
- Optional: You may like to install
Speaks S, a comprehensive environment for writing R code on
MS/Windows. Download and install the latest version available
- Alternative Option: You may like to install Tinn-R - a more traditional
GUI based IDE for R (3.94MB) from:
For MS/Windows 64bit download http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binaries/win64/gtk+/2.22/gtk+-bundle_2.22.0-20101016_win64.zip.
Extract all the files that appear in the bin folder to
somewhere on your hard disk. Then modify the system's PATH (right
mouse on Computer; Properties; Advanced; Environment Variables; System
variables; Path; Edit) to include the full path to this folder. The
64 bit version should then work. We are currently working on making
this easier hopefully by including the required libraries within the
Copyright © Togaware Pty Ltd
Support further development through the purchase of the PDF version of the book.
The PDF version is a formatted comprehensive draft book (with over 800 pages).
Brought to you by Togaware. This
page generated: Monday, 15 November 2010